Saturday 24 October 2009

Closed Captions and SEO

Closed Captions will be. I am convinced the best Search Engine Optimization Tool ever.Plus


1. Perfect for the hard of hearing,
2. Can be viewed in so far 35 languages. How about attracting foreign Tourists and manufacturing companies.
3. Great for offices and anywhere that you cant have sound. Lots of people use the Internet at their
workplace etc.
4 . Another discovery I made was that mobile devices also showed up in the discovery list, only on the captioned ones.
5. Google will index the file.
6. Allows more and a huge variety of key words.
7. Greater expanse of search terms.
8. What has a spray booth got to do with a WW2 Airfield? Google seems to think it has everything to do with it.
9. Your video could almost turn up anywhere.
10  Photos and Video.Text description more interesting to the viewer.
 

There it is. I have a strong Gut feeling that as a Sales tool Closed Captions will be the next big thing in SEO.



Here is what I have found out for myself.
First using Subtitle workshop I captioned all the photos in "Tarrant Rushton Airfield photo show" Describing the contents of each photo, makes it more interesting for the viewers. I then printed the text file and monitored the discovery stats on my Youtube account.
WOW! Lo and behold words contained in the caption file appeared in the search terms in discovery. These words are not in the description tags or title of the video.
These are:
 
"Ford Capri" "1979" "test" " "crash" home made spray booth"


Sill not convinced. I backed up all the caption files onto DVD and deleted them from the computer so it couldn't cheat. Typed in "Home made spray booth" into Google and there it was in Google video at the the top of the list. This made Google my new best friend.
Even tried the same on a different computer with the same result.
Here comes the next big one. I captioned the audio on my "WW2 Aircraft wrecks Devon" It has gone almost overnight from 10 hits a week to 100 a day. And all over the world in countries that never showed up before Captioning. Same scenario search terms used in caption file. I put this down to the viewer being able to read in their chosen language
The reason I think speaks for itself.



Lets face it Video will be king on the first point of sale. People no longer like scrolling through loads of text on a website like a poster, the preference is text on a photo or video. I did read somewhere that Google may be dropping the Meta Keyword tag and scoring on content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you your message has been sent